face 10 Interesting Facts About Metabolism - Osha Key
Healthy Weight LossWatch OshaKey TV

10 Interesting Facts About Metabolism

By June 20, 2014 31 Comments

Slow metabolism vs. fast metabolism

Have you ever wondered why some people are fit and slim and seem to be able to eat whatever they want, yet other people try to eat healthily, restrict themselves, diet and exercise and still struggle with excess weight?

While there are many reasons why this is the case, including hormones, blood sugar regulation, toxin accumulation and mindset, one thing that plays a major role is metabolism.

Interesting Fact #10: Did you know that it takes only 20 minutes in any fixed position to inhibit your metabolism?

So if you work at a computer, get your butt up every 20 minutes, do some: jumping jacks, lunges or just simply walk.

Find out all 10 Interesting Facts about the metabolism by watching this week’s video.

Watch on Youtube (as some of you can’t see the embedded video)

If you find this video helpful, don’t forget to hit the ‘like’ button, subscribe and share it with your best friends.

Much love,
Osha

P.S. In the next 4 weeks you may hear more about my ‘Detox Your Body’ program that some of you have been waiting for. You will get an early bird invite through my newsletter so stay tuned.

Sick & tired of not being able to wear a tight dress? Subscribe & get my ebook ‘Mastery In Weight Loss’ for FREE!

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Loved this article? Share with your FRIENDS!

Join the discussion 31 Comments

• Jen says:

Loved the video, Osha!
    My metabolism tip is to drink ice cold water first thing in the morning! Although I only practice this in summer.

• Osha Key says:

Great tip, thanks Jen! Perhaps water with lemon would be nice and refreshing on a summer morning ;)

• Sarah Oliver says:

I always drink a glass of lemon and water first thing in the morning – whether it’s ice cold or in hot water – and keep a bottle of water with slices of lemon in it to drink throughout the day. I sometimes add a few slices of fresh ginger root to my morning drink too as this kick-starts my digestive system.

Love your videos, Osha – always very informative yet delivered with humour and humility too … you never patronise or lecture, but offer helpful tips based on scientific fact and first-hand experience. Please keep on making them! xx

• Tracy says:

Hi Osha, what can i say. Information delivered in style. Love this video with a funny twist. I will definitely use some of your advice today. Thanks Osha

xoxo

Tracy

• Michelle says:

Hello Osha, thank you for this educational video. I learn from you every week. Could you please make a video about processed food?

• Laura says:

Hi Osha!
    You are a star!
    Thanks for the tips, I am practicing the most of them and it works!
    Still lacking the sleeping one on my tick list, but I will get there when the kids get bigger, I am positive :)
    Thanks again!
    Good luck!
    Laura

• Maria Jenkins says:

Did you know that metabolism slows down during the period? This is due to the loss of iron. It’s unfortunate because that’s the time of the month when I’m craving chocolate lol!!

• Osha Key says:

I know and that’s not fair haha! We have a slower metabolism than men anyway, plus the period.. Well, you can counteract that with having lots of dark leafy greens and spirulina, to replenish the lost iron.

• John says:

This week – great work! Your videos are getting better every week. Do you hire an agency or yourself? If yourself you did an amazing job.

• Kemi KESS says:

Hi OSHA love this video so much and going to stick to it need to shed at least 20kg out of this 82kg. But am lazy. But then I guess I can. Thanks for the tips

• Osha Key says:

Hey Kemi, thanks for your kind words. Perhaps you’re not lazy, just low in energy and not focused? You know deep inside that you want to be fit and healthy, but you’re not sure how this is going to impact your life and don’t have a clear motivation.
      I’d suggest you download my ebook (which is free when you subscribe) and do the ‘Core Values’ exercise as described in it. I’m recommending that exercise to everyone because it was the turning point for me. Plus it has changed many other people’s lives since I started sharing.
      Good luck on your journey Kemi! You can do it!!

• Thanks so much for the tips, Osha. I try to move as much as possible, always take steps instead of the lift and choose my meals wisely :)

• Jackie says:

Really enjoy these helpful tidbits. My motivation during the day as I re-watch them . Thank you..

• Vero says:

Hi Osha,
    Thanks a lot for all the great tips. : )
    Personally, I try to drink several cups of loose leaf green tea per day, as green tea is also a great metabolism booster.
    Cheers! : ))

• Osha Key says:

Hey Vero, thanks for your comment! Yes, green tea boosts metabolism slightly but it also contains caffeine, so beware not to overdose it ;)
      Chili pepper is another substance that boosts metabolism! You may try it if you like spicy food ;)

• Helen says:

Hi Osha

I am very grateful for all your tips.

Each morning on wakening I clean my teeth with just plain water, then I drink the minimum of 2 litres of water which really lfushes out the system. As soon I can shortly after, I drink another litre of water and about 50 mins later eat some breakfast.

This really curbs appetite throughout the day and keeps me well hydrated for most of the day. It’s a great detox and helps to fight bat wings by getting rid of the toxins.!

Helen

• Christie says:

Hi Osha,
    If I don’t eat much my weight stays the same. If i eat normal portions i gain weight. When i exercise the weight is not coming down as quickly as I expected. I am lost. What should i do?

Thanks,
    Christie

PS make more recipes. I love them.

• Beatrice says:

The know that if you have high metabolism you can pretty much eat whatever you want. Also the more you exercise the more easier is to lose weight. Could you make a video on how to eat in timely manner. I heard from some people that it is good to eat 5 times a day, others – 2-3 times a day. What is the correct time and why? T

Beatrice

P.S. do you promote to eat meat?

• Osha Key says:

Hey Beatrice, even if you have a high metabolism, you should not eat processed unhealthy food. It’s not just about the weight and the calories. It’s important not to pollute our bodies with toxins (even if you don’t get sick now, you;ll have to pay the price sooner or later) and to provide our bodies with adequate amounts of nutrients. And by nutrients I mean the minerals, vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, etc. that are found in fruits and vegetables, not a supplement pill.

In terms of food timing, check my previous video about intermittent fasting: http://www.becomethebestofyou.com/2014/06/how-to-use-intermittent-fasting-to-overcome-weight-loss-plateau/

There’s no correct time to eat. It all depends on your lifestyle, schedule, activity levels, etc. I’d suggest do an experiment – try eating 3 times a day one week, and then 5 times a day the next week. And see how your body reacts and what feels better.

Hope that answers your questions :)