face 3 Ways to Overcome Resistance to Exercise - Osha Key
Healthy Weight LossMaster Your Mind

3 Ways to Overcome Resistance to Exercise

By July 28, 2014 21 Comments

Some people naturally love to exercise. I feel envy for people who have been exercising all their lives and it’s natural for them.

I started exercising only in my mid-twenties, so exercise is not something that’s in my blood or something that comes easily to me. Although the more I work out, the more natural it becomes. And now it’s become almost second nature (yep, I still have to say “almost”).

On my journey to health and a fitter body, I was using these few tips to help me overcome my resistance and stick to my work-out regime. I’d love to share them with you, and hope that they help you get fitter and healthier too. So here are the tricks that you can use when you’re dreading exercising.

1. Put your workout clothes next to your bed last thing at night.

Some people even sleep in their workout clothes so that they don’t have to think about putting them on in the morning! This eliminates the decision making process in the morning, so you don’t even need to contemplate whether you should or shouldn’t exercise.

Or if you exercise at night, and you feel resistant, simply put on your workout clothes on. Don’t think about working-out just yet, just focus on the first step. Then once it’s done, you can start contemplating going to the gym (or wherever you exercise).

2. Think about how you want to feel after exercising.

We often think of exercising as hard work and associate it with struggle. Instead of overthinking about it, just focus on how you want to feel after a session. Remind yourself how you felt in the past, perhaps energised, accomplished, proud. Focusing on this feeling often makes me motivated to go and exercise.

3. Turn on the music.

Tell yourself that you’re not going to workout, you’re just going to listen to some music, and it happens to be while you’re on a treadmill.

Make a list of songs that you enjoyed when you were at a party, and had a really good time. Songs that give you a very good vibe. And take those songs with you on the iPod or MP3 player. The music will energize you and make you want to move.

Do you need some weight loss motivation? Watch my Weight Loss Motivation Video

I’d love to know which one of these tips resonate with you most? Which one are you going to try yourself? Leave a comment below! Yes, I read each comment and respond accordingly.

Sick & tired of not being able to wear a tight dress? Subscribe & get my ebook ‘Mastery In Weight Loss’ for FREE!

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Loved this article? Share with your FRIENDS!

Join the discussion 21 Comments

• Amy Wilkins says:

Hey Osha! Thanks so much for these tips! I must admit I’m also struggling with this.. I plan to exercise first thing in the morning, but change my mind once the alarm goes off lol. Will try the first tip tomorrow morning!

• Laura says:

Amazing advice! Thanks for sharing, great content as always! I love listening to good music while working out. I think music has the power to turn a workout into a party!

• Jen says:

Thanks for great tips, Osha! I’ll try to trick myself into exercising with the first tip lol :)

• Maria Jenkins says:

Thanks for the tips, I think number three is my favorite! :) Sometimes it’s a bit challenging to find new exciting music to put on my ipod

• Osha Key says:

Hi Maria, perhaps you can ask your friends, to share their favorite uplifting tracks? That’s what I often do when I run out of new music :) I also like to search for new artists and songs on youtube. Hope that helps :)

• Stephen Seymour says:

The trick that works for me is to put my gearbag into the boot of the car the night before so that i go straight from work to the gym. If i come home first then i will never go.

• Haleena says:

I do my routines at home, but I don’t have any specific type of clothing set aside for my routines. I do listen to music sometimes during routines, but it’s usually just music I might hear someone else in the house playing. I tend to work out in quiet places and I concentrate. For me, out of the three tips you listed, the second one would be most like what I do.

• Sarah says:

I also found that it’s important to choose the activity you love – then there’s less resistance.

• Osha Key says:

Hey Sarah! Absolutely agree with you! But I must admit sometimes I feel resistant even to the activities I love.. Or sometimes a bed or a coach is too comfortable haha ;)

• Andrea says:

Thank you so much for these easy to do tips! I’m most excited about the putting on the workout clothes with no immediate expectations to start. Love that! And then my second fav is the music idea. I love music and sometimes forget how easily motivating it is to me! Thank you for the suggestions!

• Janine says:

I like the idea to think about how I want to feel. These are all great tips. I have used them all. one thing I find helps is that if I don’t feel like exercising, to get the mindset that I just do something even if just stretching or 10 minutes of burst training and I find when I go to do it, I end up doing a longer session.

• Osha Key says:

That’s a great tip, Janine! I also do that sometimes, just go to the gym with no expectation or intention, and Then I end up doing a full workout! Thanks for sharing :)

• Stephanie says:

These are great tips! I especially like the one about setting your morning workout clothes about the night before! Half of my issue is finding my workout clothes and getting ready. It’s a simple, but really effective tip, thanks!

• Matthias says:

Hey Osha, just exploring your blog. Thanks for the tips and inspiration I found here. Always nice to see people who do what they love! All the best, Matthias

• Dan says:

Great blog post! I always make sure to put my clothes next to the bed so I can change and get to the gym before my brain realizes what just happened. I also future-pace before bed, thinking of how good I’m going to feel after my workout and how much closer to my goal I’m going to be before I even start my day. Reframing my morning workout as something that’s going to make me feel strong physically and emotionally throughout my day helps it become something to look forward to. Sometimes I can’t wait to sleep and wake up already so I can get to work!

I noticed this entry is from last year and I’d love to read more. When will you write your next post?